Saturday, August 1, 2015

Cecil, the Lion & Jesus, the Christ

Much uproar (no pun intended) of late regarding the unnecessary murder of Cecil, the Lion of Zimbabwe.

I wondered why I was so deeply moved by this story, as is the rest of the world.  Was it simply a matter of "herd mentality" or was I touched by this story on some personal level? As I studied the stories as they trickled onto the Internet and watched video of Cecil, I was struck by what a simply magnificent specimen of everything "lion-y" that he was. The very image of everything beautiful about creation and about nature.

I was left awe-struck simply watching him walk across his domain. He was truly like a King.  All that power, all that might!! Every other creature KNOWS he's the one in control!

It made me think of how Jesus, when he first came, came as the lamb--the sacrificial lamb--as ransom for our sin. But, when he returns, He will return as the Lion of Judah, in all His power, authority, and majesty. When all of creation KNOWS He is Lord of all.

If I am left in utter amazement by the manifestation of these attributes in an animal (and I am!) how much more so will we all be when we see the Lord Jesus in all Glory!


No comments: