Friday, December 21, 2012

Where Are you Christmas?

There is something missing 'round here. I think it's called Christmas spirit. It's seriously lacking. I thought putting up the lights and adorning the tree would do it--but it didn't. I thought playing Christmas music on the radio would do it--but it didn't. I was so desperate that I bought chocolate covered cherries and peanut brittle--but that didn't do it either.

A few days ago when all the young ones were here, I brought up YouTube and found Christmas hymns with lyrics and thought we'd gather round the computer and sing together--but they thought that was "lame". Instead they congregated in the kitchen giggling over something they were watching on the cell-phone. Talk about lame!

But it got me thinking how much I miss gathering with people to sing Christmas hymns. The church I attended during my childhood and teen years would always have a Christmas Eve service. There wasn't any preaching, per se, just the telling of the Christmas story and the singing of Christmas hymns by the congregation -- not a show choir. It was great fun! But they haven't done that in years, decades really. Churches are into cantatas and programs -- services, even at Christmas time aren't for the ordinary person. That's a shame!

In the words of Faith Hill's song:
Where are you Christmas?
Why can't I find you?
Where is the laughter
You used to bring me?
Why can't I hear music play?

I thought about running outside to give the garbage men my box of chocolate covered cherries and peanut brittle -- but I hesitated and they were gone. Surprisingly,  the thing that has helped the most in preparing my heart for the Holidays was being asked by my junior-high school aged grandson to prepare a treat for him to take to his last-day-of-school-before-Christmas-break party. I haven't had to make him treats in years! He said he was the first to volunteer because he knew I'd do it. He left with such a smile on his face yesterday with his treat in hand.

Again, in the words of the song:
If there is love in your heart and mind
You will feel like Christmas all the time.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all, a good-night!



No comments: