Thursday, October 27, 2011

Overdue

When I was a young girl I think the thing I did that aggravated/disappointed my parents, especially my mother, the most was to constantly have overdue library books. She complained about it all the time!--every time I had a school project and needed a reference book from the library. I grew up very aware of how bad I was about having overdue library books. It was a serious point of shame. As I became a young adult the same problem manifested itself in overdue video rentals! Aaarrgghh!
At some point in my life I decided that I wasn't an irresponsible person who couldn't return library books or video rentals on time. NOT having a library fine in years, in decades, became a source of pride. Until today. Today I received an overdue notice from the library and I actually felt like a junior-high school girl covered in shame!!!! I had my library account tied to an e-mail account so that I would receive an e-mail message 1 or 2 days BEFORE the due-date letting me know it was time to return or renew my books. I had closed that e-mail account and didn't realize it was tied to my library card. Oh well....I feel like a recovering alcoholic who fell off the wagon...just have to start over again.
I'm so ashamed!! Vowing to never be overdue again!

No comments: